Thursday, February 27, 2014

Parents

                Thank you for being so patient with this new reading program. We are still trying to figure out many things that go along with the program. The program is mostly digital, so we are working the best we can with what we have been given. Next year, with the mimeos, it will be much more user, teacher, and student friendly. There are videos, lessons, and games that go along with our series; but, we cannot do those as a class because of the limited technology. The worksheets could also all be displayed on the board for me to go over with the students as they are done.
                As far as the language goes there will be notes given and worksheets done. Notes will be given almost everyday. These notes come out of my teacher reading book. Worksheets will be done every week as long as my printer and computer are cooperating with me. There will also be a language study guide sent home each week that is close to the test.  All of the workbooks are digital, so next year with the mimeos they can all be projected on the board to be done as a whole group class.
                Reading: There will also be a study guide sent home as early as possible. Everything on that study guide may not be gone over in class at the time it is sent home. There are many things in our new reading series that is to be built on from grade level to grade level, so I am trying my best to work around them not having this reading series in 1st grade. This has been a challenge, but we are slowly getting it together.
                Writing: We are working the best we can with our writing. Since beginning cursive it takes up a lot of time. We are writing and will be doing more writing. I will send these papers home as we do them and they are given back. Our new series has writing built in, but it again is building on 1st grade. Therefore, I was not able to just pick up where they left off when we received the new reading series.
                This series has been very challenging for Mrs. Rogers and I, especially since we are not familiar with the series at all. It was given to me later in the school year, so I have tried to adapt to it without technology as best as possible. Thank you for being so patient with it all; because, believe me it has been very challenging to do all of this my first year teaching after Mrs. Campbell, who knew the reading series, left. As far as homework goes there should be no more than an hour spent on homework a night. I am no longer sending home the math and language homework sheets, so that should’ve cut down on some homework. I review all the material the students should know for the test in class, and we read our story during the week. Again, thank you for your patience and if you have any questions please email me.
                                                                                                Thanks-

                                                                                                                Mrs. Casey 

No comments:

Post a Comment